Interview with A.D. Albright
- Identifier: 1977 OH 019
- Date: 6/7/1977
- Interviewer: Smith, David
- Interviewee: Albright, A.D.
- Description: Mr. A.D. Albright served on the Tennessee Department of Education from 1939-49. From 1950-54 he was a Professor at George Peabody College and Professor of Education at UK from 1954-57. Mr. Albright served as Executive Dean from 1957-61, Provost from 1960-62, and Executive Vice President from 1962-71. From 1971-76 he served as Executive Director of the Committee of Public Higher Education. Since 1976 he has been president of Northern Kentucky University.
- Location: Highland Heights, KY
0-4 First recollections of Martin
4-36 Recollections of Martin during Martin's term as Superintendent of Public Instruction; Martin's professional preparation and educational interests
36-68 Martin's philosophy of education
69-93 How Martin envisioned Eastern's role as a regional institution in the development of higher education in Kentucky
93-129 Martin's relationship with UK
129-147 Martin's relationship with Presidents Dickey, Oswald, Singletary
147-168 Compromise that allowed regional institutions to achieve university status
168-267 Martin's effectiveness in the Council on Public Higher Education; Martin's perception of the CPHE as a threat to the autonomy of the regional institutions; Martin's reaction to the master plan for Kentucky Higher Education; reaction to the absorption of the University of Louisville and the development of Northern Kentucky State University in Kentucky higher education
268-313 Martin's involvement and effectiveness in Kentucky politics
314-404 CPHE's effectiveness in overseeing higher education; Martin's recognition of need for greater participation by faculty and students in university affairs
448-466 Martin's expertise in finance
466-505 Martin's contributions to higher education in Kentucky: financing, expansion of educational opportunities
506-527 Anecdote concerning Albright
527-583 Characterization of Martin's personality
584 End of interview
- Restrictions: yes, in the event of any publication emerging from the taping, a preliminary copy of any passages is requested.
- Rights: Contact Special Collections and Archives, Crabbe Library, Eastern Kentucky University for reproductions, rights and permission to publish.
- Funding Source:
“Interview with A.D. Albright,” William H. Berge Oral History Center, accessed August 11, 2020, https://oralhistory.eku.edu/items/show/616.